Monday 29 November 2010

Evaluation

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


The opening of my action adventure Is stereotypical because I have clearly identified who the protagonist of the film is. However I have also challenged forms by identifying a antagonist in the first couple minutes of the opening sequence. Whereas most action films start off in a mansion, secluded/ restricted area or  a secret location. I on the other hand have shot my opening sequence in an averaged sized house. I have done this so that my audience can relate to the settings more and would be use to this kind of environment.












I have used non digetic in my opening because I believe that the soundtrack chosen creates this sense of tension and an uneasy environment. The opening of my film contains lots of shots cuts and taken from different angles or directions. The reason I have done this type of editing is  to capture the characters reactions and certain apects which may be important further into the film. For example the character handing over the briefcase and the person holding the gold gun.





The costumes and props which I used in my opening sequence is dark clothing, A gun (gold), A briefcase and sunglasses. I used all these objects because they give conventions of an action film. Also the majority of props used in the opening sequence play a major part in the play and link into the plot. The use of sunglasses in the opening sequence shows that the character want to keep their identity secret, this again gives conventions of action because in most action films the protagonist and antagonist usually wear sunglasses.


Props Used in the opening






How does your media product represent particular social groups?


The groups represented in my media product is young adults, business men and gangsters. Business men are represented by one of the characters carrying a secured briefcase and all dressed in black. Gangsters are represented in my media product by one of the characters being in possession of a gun. Young adults/ Teenagers are represented in my media product because most of my characters are Young adults from ages 17-18.
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?



The type of media institution which would distribute my media product is companies such as Eon Productions or Paramount. Both these industries are well known when it comes to action films for example (James Bond and Mission Impossible). So I feel these big names backing me would help increase revenue and sales. Also having these big names would increase the amount of people wanting to come see these films. These companies could also supply me with a large budget for advertisement. This also means my film would be shown at major cinema's.





















Who would be the audience for your media product?
After Looking at Pearl and dean the main audience for film would be males from the age of 13 to 30. It would not be suitable for a younger audience because of the vast amount of violence it may contain, possible scenes of a sexual nature and abusive or offensive language. The film would be much preferred by males because of the violence and scenes of  combat. Films from the same genre like James Bond and Mission Impossibles have the same or similar guidelines this is why I based my intended on these films reviews.


Guidelines: (12A with Parental Guidance - 12A means that the BBFC have classified the film unsuitable for children under 12. However, they may still watch the film, as long as they are accompanied by someone over 18 at all times during the showing. Advice is given regarding the content of the film and the ADULT must decide if it is appropriate for the accompanying under 12.)














How did you attract/adress your audience?


The way in which I have attracted my audience is within the first few minutes of the opening sequence a dilemma unfolds. This will hold my audience interest because I have created this cliffhanger by a mysterious character holding a gun towards the protagonist of the film. In doing this my audience are left to their own imagination to decide what happens next. I have also kept a constant tempo throughout my film which will also keep the audience interested. The use of dramatic music creates this tension within the atmosphere keeping the audience at edge wondering what is going to happen next. Also having the change in camera angle and character will attract the audience because they will be constantly be gaining new information which will help to learn the plot of the film.

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing the product?


While constructing my product I realize that it was hard trying to hold the camera steady during certain shots and that the tripod is not very mobile. Also the tripod was very flimsy so you had to be careful when characters were walking past or acting near the camera. Another Issue I faced was, while editing my film and downloading it onto final cut pro it continuously dropped frames throughout. Which means I had re log and capture certain parts numerous amounts of times. Also final cut pro is avery complex program and things were not easy to find.














Looking back to your preliminary task, what do you feel that you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


Looking back I realize the preliminary task helped a lot when it came to using shots in the main task. For example using the shot/ reverse shot and match on action. Also the preliminary task was good practice and helped me to get use the handheld camera and the tripod. Also gave me chance to learn all the functions of the camera and how to operate it. Having to film and edit the preliminary task in a certain time period helped me to realize that you shouldn't leave it the filming and editing to the last minute because anything can go wrong during the process e.g. shots taken incorrectly or characters laughing or saying their lines wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment